Entertainment

Coronavirus: Mariah Carey, more musicians cancel shows amid COVID-19 spread – USA TODAY

, USA TODAY
Published 7:51 p.m. ET March 3, 2020 | Updated 10:39 a.m. ET March 4, 2020

CLOSE

A previous version of this video incorrectly stated how many people the 1918 Spanish influenza killed.

USA TODAY

The growing concern about the spread of coronavirus is forcing Mariah Carey to postpone her concert. 

The pop star announced on Twitter Tuesday that she was rescheduling a March 10 concert in Hawaii because of the “evolving international travel restrictions” stemming from the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. 

“Aloha Hawaii!! I’m so so sad to have to announce that I’m postponing my show to November,” she tweeted. “I was so excited to come back to Hawaii on my ‘anniversary month’ but evolving international travel restrictions force us to consider everyone’s safety and well being.”

Carey moved her Honolulu concert stop to Nov. 28, where she will perform her “special All I Want for Christmas Is You & Hits extravaganza for the first time ever in Hawaii!”

Senator to U.S. airlines: Waive change and cancellation fees for all flights during coronavirus crisis

With that said, I am SUPER excited to be coming to Honolulu in November and perform my special All I Want for Christmas Is You & Hits extravaganza for the first time ever in Hawaii! I can’t wait to see you! Stay safe!! ❤️❤️

— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) March 3, 2020

The Grammy award winner is one of many artists to take extra precautions against the spread of coronavirus, which has claimed the lives of of 2,945 people globally as of Tuesday night.

Here are other artists canceling tour stops over safety concerns:

Khalid

In February, Khalid postponed his upcoming “Free Spirit World Tour” shows in several Asian countries, citing recent advisories and travel restrictions.

“Our highest priority remains the safety of Khalid’s fans, his team and everyone who has been working on these concerts,” promoter AEG Presents Asia wrote in a statement on Feb. 13. 

BTS 

The Korean pop group was scheduled to kick off their “BTS Map of the Soul Tour” on April 11 in Seoul, South Korea. 

“We regret to announce that the BTS MAP OF THE SOUL TOUR … has been cancelled,” the band’s agency Big Hit Entertainment said in a statement.

The management agency said the COVID-19 outbreak in South Korea, which has more than 5,186 cases so far, made it impossible to predict the scale of the outbreak by April.

The seven-member boy band was scheduled to perform April 11-12 and April 18-19 at Seoul’s Olympic Stadium. The agency said it had to consider the health and safety of the artists, the production crews and the more than 200,000 concertgoers expected.

More: ‘Amazing Race’ production halts, BTS, Green Day, cancel shows amid coronavirus concerns

Green Day

The rock band announced on social media on Feb. 28 that they’re nixing their tour dates in Asia.

“We have unfortunately made the difficult decision to postpone our upcoming shows in Asia due to the health + travel concerns with coronavirus,” the band wrote in a statement posted to Twitter and Instagram. “We know it sucks, as we were looking forward to seeing you all, but hold on to your tickets we’ll be announcing the new dates very soon.”

Green Day was scheduled to perform in Thailand, South Korea, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Japan and Taiwan starting in March as part of their “Hella Mega Tour.” 

Avril Lavigne

Lavigne was scheduled to begin the Asian leg of her “Head Above Water World Tour” in Shenzhen, China on April 23, but the star took to social media to announce that the shows have been canceled. 

“I am sad to announce that we are unable to tour the Asian markets due to the continuous outbreak of the coronavirus,” she wrote on Instagram on Feb. 29.“My band, crew and I have been working so hard to bring this tour worldwide and are completely bummed out. Please everybody take care of yourselves and stay healthy. You’re in my thoughts and prayers and we are hoping to announce rescheduled shows soon.”

She was scheduled to perform in Japan, the Philippines, Taiwan, among other Chinese cities like Hong Kong and Shanghai from April 23- May 29.

There are more than 92,860 confirmed cases of coronavirus around the world, including Italy and South Korea, where the Trump administration urged Americans to avoid travel.

Contributing: Rasha Ali

‘Do not travel’: Americans urged to avoid Italy, South Korea amid coronavirus outbreak

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/03/03/coronavirus-mariah-carey-musicians-cancel-shows-well-being/4945189002/

Read More

Related Articles

Back to top button
>