
Janice Min is stepping down from her content executive role at Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman’s short-form premium video startup, Quibi.
“Janice Min will be leaving Quibi,” a Quibi spokesperson told Variety. “We thank her for her leadership and wish her well as she embarks on her next chapter.”
The exit of Min, the former top editor of The Hollywood Reporter, follows the late-August departure of Quibi’s head of partnerships and advertising Tim Connolly, whose position was eliminated. Connolly, a former Hulu executive, had only joined the company in Dec. 2018. Quibi does not plan to replace Connolly, Variety learned last month.
Min’s exit is unrelated to Connolly’s, said a source close to the situation.
Quibi intends to launch its platform on April 6, 2020, and has raised over $1 billion in funding from a high-profile group of investors that includes Disney, NBCUniversal, Viacom, WarnerMedia, Sony Pictures Entertainment and Lionsgate. Katzenberg and Whitman’s venture has attracted a long list of marquee creators and directors, from Steven Spielberg to Antoine Fuqua to Tyra Banks to Guillermo del Toro.
The differentiating idea behind Quibi is that its stories will be consumed in eight- to 10-minute snippets — the origin of the platform’s name, short for “quick bites” — and its deals promise to be creator-friendly, giving producers back the rights to their content after two years.
-
In today’s roundup, Hallmark announces its “Countdown to Christmas” lineup, including a first look at “A Christmas Love Story,” and Nickelodeon announces a premiere date for “The Loud House” spin-off “The Casagrandes.” FIRST LOOKS Kristin Chenoweth and Scott Wolf star in Hallmark Hall of Fame‘s upcoming holiday film, “A Christmas Love Story,” and Variety has […]
-
CBS may have previously expressed interest in acquiring Lionsgate-owned Starz, but now that the Eye has merged with Viacom, it’s unlikely that the newly formed ViacomCBS would look to actively pursue the premium cabler in the near term. According to sources close to the situation, there have not been any substantive talks about a potential […]
-
Janice Min is stepping down from her content executive role at Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman’s short-form premium video startup, Quibi. “Janice Min will be leaving Quibi,” a Quibi spokesperson told Variety. “We thank her for her leadership and wish her well as she embarks on her next chapter.” The exit of Min, the former […]
-
Kevin Hart is under fire once again after the comedian interrupted Lil Nas X while the “Old Town Road” rapper explained his recent decision to come out as gay. On Tuesday’s episode of HBO’s “The Shop: Uninterrupted,” Lil Nas X was asked about coming out as gay amid the success of his hit, which recently […]
-
“The Detour” has reached the end of the road. The family comedy series has been canceled after four seasons at TBS, Variety has learned. The series was created, written and executive-produced by Jason Jones and Samantha Bee. Jones also starred in the series along with Natalie Zea, Ashley Gerasimovich, Liam Carroll and Daniella Pineda. Season […]
-
The climate crisis was the issue under the spotlight for the 10 leading Democratic candidates during a CNN town hall on the subject. The candidates, who have put forward individual plans to combat the climate crisis, all acknowledge the seriousness of the issue and the need to tackle it head on, however, their views primarily […]
-
New York Comic Con (NYCC), running from Oct. 3-6 out of New York’s Javits Convention Center, will have TV fans covered with a wide array of sneak-peeks, screenings and exciting cast panels for today’s most popular shows. Raunchy animated comedy “Big Mouth” from Netflix will kick off the long weekend with a teaser of its […]