Entertainment

Laurie Luhn Drops $750 Million Suit Over ‘Loudest Voice’ – Variety

Laurie Luhn, the former Fox News staffer who made sexual abuse allegations against Roger Ailes, has dropped a $750 million lawsuit against Showtime over the forthcoming miniseries “Loudest Voice.”

Luhn filed suit in January, accusing Showtime, Blumhouse and journalist Gabriel Sherman of violating her right to privacy. The suit alleged that Sherman was “cashing in” on her history of psychosexual torture at Ailes’ hands, and had failed even to notify her that the story would be turned into a series.

Luhn and her attorney, Larry Klayman, filed a notice on Friday dismissing the case.

“The matter has been resolved to the parties’ mutual satisfaction,” Klayman said in a statement.

The network declined to comment.

The seven-episode series is set to debut on Sunday on Showtime. The show is based on Sherman’s 2014 book, “The Loudest Voice in the Room,” and his subsequent reporting. Following Ailes’ ouster in July 2016, Sherman published a story based on 11 hours of interviews with Luhn, who alleged that Ailes had sexually abused her for 20 years.

In the suit, Luhn accused Sherman of certain factual discrepancies and alleged that she never gave him the right to use her story in a TV show. She also said she was not paid. The case was initially filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, and then dropped and refiled in Delaware federal court.

In a review of the show, NPR’s David Bianculli noted that the treatment of Luhn “is uncomfortable to watch.”

“Here comes the first television production directly dramatizing a modern-day, high-profile sexual harassment case,” Bianculli wrote, “yet it does so in a way that almost feels like its own type of exploitation.”

In April, Klayman filed a separate $120 million defamation suit against Fox News and its CEO, Suzanne Scott. That suit claimed that Scott had defamed Luhn by giving an interview in which Scott said that she was unaware of any sexual misconduct allegations against Ailes. Scott and Fox have filed a motion to dismiss the case.


  • John August

    “Big Fish” screenwriter John August has signed with Verve talent agency, marking a high-profile recruit for the agency that is the first among the established Hollywood literary players to agree to the Writers Guild of America’s new rules governing talent agents. August is a veteran screenwriter an an influential voice among writers as co-host with […]


  • Loudest Voice Roger Ailes Miniseries

    Laurie Luhn, the former Fox News staffer who made sexual abuse allegations against Roger Ailes, has dropped a $750 million lawsuit against Showtime over the forthcoming miniseries “Loudest Voice.” Luhn filed suit in January, accusing Showtime, Blumhouse and journalist Gabriel Sherman of violating her right to privacy. The suit alleged that Sherman was “cashing in” […]


  • Bob PittmanVariety Entertainment Summit at CES,

    iHeartMedia will begin trading on the NASDAQ Global Select Market on July 18th, as a direct listing rather than an initial public offering, the company announced today. The move is similar to the one Spotify took last year and frees the company from some of the restrictions of a traditional IPO. It will trade under […]


  • CAA’s Rob Light and Wife Donate

    Rob Light, managing partner of Creative Artists Agency, and his wife Shelly have announced a gift of $300,000 that will support scholarships for historically underrepresented students pursuing studies in Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, its Bandier Program in Recording and Entertainment Industries, and the College of Visual and Performing Arts (VPA). Light […]


  • Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, BTS Lead

    Albums by Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Halsey, Khalid, BTS and Bad Bunny led to a record 507 billion on-demand streams in the first six months of 2019, according to Nielsen’s mid-year report, which “outlines the music industry’s leading trends, data and insights over the past six months.” Breaking down the leading trends via the Gracenote […]


  • Peter Ramsey

    Peter Ramsey, who won an Oscar this year for co-directing the hit animated film “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” has joined the long list of high-level speakers for the 2019 View Conference, which runs from Oct. 21-25 in Turin, Italy. “I’m delighted to announce that Peter Ramsey, who is the first African American director to win […]


  • Kevin Spacey Trial

    Actor Kevin Spacey has been hit with a lawsuit for an alleged groping of a busboy at a Nantucket bar in July 2016. Spacey is already facing a criminal charge of indecent assault stemming from the incident. He has pleaded not guilty and is set to go on trial sometime this fall. In the suit, […]

Read More

Related Articles

Back to top button
>